January 4, 2008

Lessons learnt in last minute app submission

Today I submitted 3 apps (Darden / Duke / Ross ) at one go and it was nothing short of a marathon.
I filled the applications forms in a frenzied pace and completed them with less than 1/2 hour to the deadline.

I learnt many important lessons in the process.
1) Application Forms - although I have read posts saying people overlook it, I never imagined it would be this difficult, the number of forms, the weirdness of questions and beyond all that it takes so many hours to fill them. I had assumed it would take max 1-2 hours. But I ended up spending more than 4 hours on some schools.
Lesson: Don't underestimate the effort or time for Appln forms

2) As an addendum to the first part, the application form might have some essay questions that you have known earlier. In my case, I weaved the Darden fit in my Essay1 only to realize that the application form had a specific question of fit at the last minute. I had to rework both my essays with just an hour for the deadline.
Lesson: Don't leave the appln forms for the last. Its better to go through it earlier to get an idea of what is required.

3) Recommenders not showing up at the last minute - One of my recommenders was on long vacation and promised to get things done by Dec 31. But he was still working on the draft version on Jan 2nd and on Jan 3rd night he was asking me for examples to fill for the questions and I spent solid 2 hours on discussions with him. I had regularly followed it up with him to the extent of not forcing him. Gave him all the relevant data sheets. I am not sure what I could have done better other than more persuasion
Lesson: Hmmmm...Don't trust their words, get things done. Be more proactive.

To add to the long list of problems, I had formatting problems with my essay questions and resume.
The kind of tensions I went through is unexplainable. I was worried that so many weeks of effort on essays would go in vain due to my careless mistakes. Neways, All is well that ends well. I am glad I managed to submit everything in the nick of time.
Hope the adcoms like my essays!

Another marathon week lies ahead as I plan to target Chicago and Kellogg essays from the scratch. (Poor time management or whatever you could call it :( )

Good luck to all the fellow applicants applying in R2 and Yeah remember to get stuff other than essays also in place earlier!

7 comments:

Kate_13 said...

I've been keeping up with you a bit... and sent in Harvard, Wharton, Darden and Duke on Wednesday. I can certainly relate to that last minute surprise of the Darden question - I saw it late Sunday night! Luckily, it was when I was looking over my essays and thinking "I really need a more definitive Why Darden? statement in here..."

I also got caught by Harvard needing three recs - and had a total last minute panic session, not to mention begged a dear colleague who was gracious enough to contribute a few hours on her last day of vacation to recommend me. I thought I had it all planned out.... it just grew somehow!

JulyDream said...

Definitely impressive... I don't envy you however. ;) After my Kellogg app in round 1, I literally had 2 weeks to complete BOTH Ross and Darden essays. I learned to alternate the days I worked on them because their questions were so very different. Good luck with the rest of your apps. In the mean time, if you start tonight, have a cocktail in hand to relieve a bit of the stress. Sometimes the ideas flow better as well!

MBAandBeyond said...

@firstmuse,
4 apps :O :O
esp HBS and Wharton,
I thought 3 was tough..Great going..

@paige,
Thanx..Yeah i havent started looking other schools although they are 4 days away. Have a party at friends place tonite..Will get started post that..
Gud luck with ur apps as well..

Kate_13 said...

Thanks much! I kept thinking after that first big push (I didn't apply to any schools in Round 1) that it'd be a relief.... and instead, now everything is actually out of my control and well.... relief is not what I am feeling. *sigh*

Two weeks for some serious essays... that's work - good going! I think I had actually cracked the bottle of wine as I finished my very last submission (Harvard) on Wednesday. Couldn't quite wait.... I blame it on the stress. *wink*

Ameya said...

Remembered the scene at my place on 3rd! (Darden and Harvard) and after those frenzied and numerous Christmas and New Year parties I think I am still in a hangover!
All the best with your apps... How are the remaining one's going? I am still deciding on a couple of schools! And time keeps running... Damn!

~a

RunningTurtle said...

Three apps in one shot. That must be one hell of a ride

MBAandBeyond said...

@ameya,
I am just doing 2 more schools, I have deadlines in 2 days and there is steady progress.
Good luck with ur apps. Which ones next?

@runningturtle,
You bet! Never tensed myself so much earlier :D